Tuesday 13 September 2016

An almost PERFECT PTE Academic Score.

Take a hint when you screw up your IELTS scores once. Move on to do the TOEFL or PTE Academic. I personally have done all three and thankfully all turned out to be successful ordeals.

Actual PTE Results.
I liked the IELTS format and the structure is pretty straightforward, but when you start noticing how they give you a score lower than what you deserve and weigh the odds of getting your results in 14 working days versus the PTE results in mostly 24 hours (although they say it will be 5 days), PTE is the better choice. Trust me, I considered asking the IELTS to re-score my test, but that takes another 1 month!? It’s totally not worth it.

I gave the TOEFL iBT in the year 2010 (if I’m not mistaken). I then gave my first IELTS in 2013 (for which I applied and received a British Council Scholarship worth approx. $2000). 😮That’s crazy right? I gave another IELTS in April, 2016 and disqualified for a “Superior” competency by 0.5 in the writing section. This made me doubt my writing skills, but each time I got my Essays corrected by a professional they assured me that it was exceptionally good and worthy of the highest score. This made it confusing, so I guess here you got to step in and believe in your capabilities.

I had the choice to do another IELTS (like so many of my other friends), or believe that I can ace any English test not just the one’s I am accustomed to and thus began preparing for the PTE academic. So I began working on figuring out how the PTE format differs from the IELTS. How do you start?

I began by checking out the official PTE website. I browsed through all the sections and got the free sample offline questions/practice tests sent to me by email. Along with this I downloaded the “Overview PTEA Practice”, “PTEA Score Guide”, “PTE Academic Tutorial” and ‘PTEA Test Tips”.
Now I will not offer to give you a link to these documents and make your life easy, mainly because doing the reading necessary to find these documents is in itself a reading practice. After that, ensure that you read every line in these documents (make your own notes in one A4 size paper) so that everything you will ever need to refer to is on 1 sheet of paper. This should include sub-topics (i.e. types of questions) in each section [Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing].  It should include hints on what to do, negative marking questions, time-durations for each section and number of questions for each subsection and marking allotted to the question types. Notice I did not ask you to be aware of what “not to do”; just focus 100% on what you “Should Do”.

Ensure you do not spend more than 7 days to compile your 1 sheet of paper. Imagine it’s a cheat sheet you are preparing for exams. This will come in very handy on the day of your test and you are travelling to the location by train or bus and feeling like you have forgotten everything. When you read this sheet you will automatically get the feeling that you know everything perfectly and this confidence is what you need for giving the PTE. I might be exaggerating here but, in my honest opinion if you believe and are completely confident that you are going to ace the exam, you will. I recall smiling at the screen during my test because I enjoyed the speaking section questions or even the reading questions. Make sure you are confident enough to believe that what you are reading is perfect. If you make a mistake reading, do not hesitate. Command that you have said the statement perfectly.

I recall not saying the first word by mistake, but I continued reading it like as if I had not made any mistake; as if the statement was exactly as I had spoken. The reading section can be a little tricky and if you are aiming for something over 81, you definitely need to brush up on your vocabulary followed by grammar and then sense for distinguishing between topic and conclusion statements for the re-order paragraphs section.

I made a million mistakes in the describe image section where I might have said the wrong things that they did not ask. I recall in one I gave the wrong answer and then corrected myself in the last 20 seconds. I said something like, “This… is the answer; however this… is the right answer”. This brings me to the only conclusion which is, if you are exceptionally confident of what you are doing it might go unnoticed that you are screwing up majorly. The, “PTEA Score Guide” and “PTEA Test Tips” will ensure that you realize what the assessors are looking for exactly.

Now once you have done all the practice in the world and you are exhausted and extremely annoyed with yourself for having to prove to these guys that you are competent in English when it is an official language in your country and you have been studying it and giving exams in it all your life; this is when you go ahead and purchase the PTE tests. Get the one with both tests. [Something I did not know is that you CANNOT retake these tests although you have bought it]. It is a one-time only thing.

I have attached the scored of my practice tests as well, just to give you an idea of how these have varied over a period of 1 week. I gave “Practice test – A” on 29’th August, 2016. I was very unhappy with the result and annoyed that I will have to study all over again, so instead I spent a few hours recalling the questions and introspecting on where I could have gone wrong.

I realized that in the reading section you need to be extremely aware and wide awake because the questions are very specific and easily misunderstood if you are physically or mentally tired. I was completely aghast seeing my score for “spellings”. After deep thought I realized that I was still not too sure of the difference between let’s say, employee’s, employees and employees’. I think that’s the one thing I figured out before giving the actual PTE test.

The second practice test gave me the score I was looking for and although I made worse spelling errors, my scores improved in almost everything else and I was finally satisfied and confident that I can get a score above 81 in all sections. The next day I told my father that I was ready to give the real test and that I can’t improve myself further no matter how much I study beyond what I already have. He was a little apprehensive and like most fathers, very disapproving of the idea. But I was firm on my decision and wanted to book the test at the earliest. It was booked for 6’th September, 2016 at 2:30pm (which I personally think is a fine time). I calmly woke up at 9am on test day, left from home to the center at fifteen minutes past noon and arrived at 1:45pm.

1'st Test: Practice Test "A" Results
I then read my notes in the little time that I had and also some one word answers. Beware, as I didn’t come across these in any of my practice tests; they gave me images for the “answer short questions” and asked me to give answers from them. This came as a surprise and I surely made mistakes but ensured I covered up my tracks without letting the AI program realise that I had defaulted. This I did by preventing breaks in my flow of speech and continued speaking as if nothing had happened. I did not retract any of my words and neither did I stutter. I just kept going as if I owned the bloody test.

2'nd Test: Practice Test "B" Results.
My final remarks are that the PTE-A is definitely a value for your effort and money. They have lenient correction techniques and fairly well organized sections. I urge you to do your practice test in a loud environment where you can hardly even hear yourself think. This is because on test day you WILL get distracted if you do not do this exercise.

Thanking each and every one of you for taking the time to read my blog. If you find it interesting or if you feel I have not addressed some points, please feel free to ask questions. A little about me; my motherland is India. I was brought up between Goa and Bombay which is where I learnt the fundamentals of English. You definitely need a passionate teacher during your primary school years. I had some of the best and I am thankful to each of them for their guidance.



PTE tuitions anyone??? First class is free. Available in Melbourne and surrounding regions only for now.
[Classes shall be held only with a minimum of 5 students per session].

5 comments:

  1. Very detailed! Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that many of the bloggers your tips helped to clarify a few things for me as well as giving.. very specific nice content. And tell people specific ways to live their lives.Sometimes you just have to yell at people and give them a good shake to get your point across.

    Logistics Software

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good article. Thanks to share it with us. If you are looking for the PTE practice test online then have a look at this link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice article. Great thanks for sharing your expertise.

    ReplyDelete